The Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel is one of the oldest churches in Montreal. Marguerite Bourgeoys, the first teacher in the colony of Ville-Marie (Montreal) and the founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame rallied all the colonists to build this chapel. Work on the original structure in wood began in 1655. Through the years, it has been altered many times and additions have been made. In 1754, the chapel was completely destroyed in a fire. The present day chapel was built in 1771, over its original foundations. Also, it is often referred to as the "Sailor's Church". In the 19th century, sailors who arrived in the "Old Port" would make offerings to the Virgin in gratitude for safe sea voyages.
This is the rear of the chapel which overlooks the harbour. Here, the Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours spreads her arms to the St. Lawrence River and blesses sailors with her protection.