Old Montreal... The Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel 2
The vaulted ceiling mural was painted by François-Édouard Meloche (a local painter-decorator) in 1886. It illustrates eight scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary. This magnificent artwork, which had been hidden by a painted canvas that was pasted to the ceiling in the early 20th century, was only discovered in 1994. The three altars of the sanctuary were made of Italian marble at the beginning of the 20th century.
Early Casavant organ, 1910.
In the 18th century, and especially at the beginning of the 19th century, the port of Montreal was bustling. Sailors often came to pray on the eve of an ocean crossing, and the chapel began to be called The Sailors’ Church. These are miniature boats, votive offerings given for a favour sought or in thanks for one granted through the intercession of Mary
Stained glass windows illustrating the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary... by D.-Adolphe Beaulieu, 1910.
Links of Interest: Casavant Brothers Significant Casavant Organs Around the World