Hector Guimard - Montreal Metro Square Victoria

Copyright Photo: Victoria Square Metro 1 by Montreal Photo Daily, on Flickr
Square Victoria Metro Station / Saint Antoine Entrance
Restored and Re-inaugurated in September 2003

Copyright Photo: Victoria Square Metro 2 by Montreal Photo Daily, on Flickr
A Touch of Gay Paree

This is an authentic Art Nouveau Parisian metro entrance portico from the Paris Métro System. It was given to Montreal in 1967 by the French to commemorate the collaboration of Canadian and French engineers in building our metro system. This cast-iron entrance portico is truly a gem and an important example of the Art Nouveau style. We're very proud to have this because it is also the only authentic Hector Guimard entrance in use on a metro station, anywhere in the world outside Paris. So, whenever you're in town, be sure to check it out! One more reason to visit Montreal? I hope so.



12 comments:

Arija said...

I only wish I could check it out for myself!
Do they still sell root- and pine-beer in Dominion Square in the summer?

Wayne said...

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I saw this metro entrance in person. I'm a fan of Guimard and Art Nouveua.

Birdman said...

Take that camera below ground. Photograph what's not here now.

RedPat said...

I had no idea - fabulous!

Montreal Photo Daily said...

@ Arija: Sorry, I don't know... but will check it out. Fond memories?

@ Wayne, Birdman & RedPat: Thanks for comments/suggestion.

Randy said...

I would love to tour your city. For now I will through your photos!

magiceye said...

nice to see it holding its ground against the monstrous skyscrapers!

Rob Siemann said...

I like the Montreal metro! Used to live near metro Jolicoeur many years ago.

Chrissy Brand said...

I love it- I have a photo of a Parisian Metro station on my wall ;-)

Happy Canada Day Ken. I shall tune into CBC Radio Canada International this evening- a great radio station.

Chrissy
http://mancunianwave.blogspot.com/

Leif Hagen said...

C'est Fun! C'est jolie! I like, like the Art Nouveau Parisian metro entrance portico! And I really like the sculptures, too!
Bon weekend

irinapictures said...

We have the same Paris-style metro entrance! I need to make photo of it, thank you for the idea!

Kim said...

That is beyond cool! Very fun to see it. I heard a few weeks ago about a Montreal company who came up with a great bicycle use system that they are marketing to cities around the globe and wondered if Paris' Velib system had been inspired by them. I guess Montreal is North America's foremost bicycling city.
-Kim